Friday, January 25, 2013

The Plotting Puzzle (continued) and Another Contest!

Hybrid - a novelist who combines the best (based on their opinion) of being a plotter and a pantser.

 
As previously blogged, I'm a pantser who has attempted plotting only to find it didn't work for me.
Recently, a friend advised that I might be a hybrid. I had heard that term applied to everything from plants to cars, but never writers. Turns out, a hybrid is an author who combines the foresight of a plotter with the fresh discoveries of a pantser.

"How?" I had to ask.

It's different for everyone, my friend said. In her case, she had tried plotting but found the process to be exhausting. Now, she writes several one-sentence descriptions of what might happen in her novel. These plot-bites evolve into scenes. However, she leaves room to be introduced to her characters as she writes about them, gives herself the freedom to change course, and has re-discovered the joy of writing.

At times, I feel like this fella.
Maybe one day, all the puzzle
pieces will fall into place - LOL

"Hmmm".

I have decided it's worth a try. My goal is to apply this hybrid approach to a mystery novel I plan to write this year. More to come.

What about you -- plotter? pantser? hybrid?  


ANOTHER CONTEST! Anyone comments between January 25, 2013 and 11:59 p.m. on February 1, 2013 will be entered into a drawing for their choice of the one of the following books:

·         How to Write a Damn Good Novel II by James N. Frey

·         The Writer's Guide to Creating a Science Fiction Universe by George Ochoa & Jeffery Osier

·         Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass

No comments:

Post a Comment