Why? so many people ask me. It's a wonderfully festive season, they say.
|You can't see if very well in this pic, |
but hand-crocheted ornaments com-
pose the wreath. My sister made it.
- Stressful (I won't even quote the alcohol / suicide / depression rates)
- Expensive (Lucy from Peanuts got it right. Christmas is run by some big East Coast syndicate)
- Fattening (cookies and cakes and punch and food, food, food to paraphrase the Grinch)
- Miserable (have you ever noticed how may 'sad' holiday specials there are?)
- Deadly (the kill count on Black Friday grows every year)
Now, I haven't always been this way. When my boys were little I made an effort to erect a tree each year and to have an abundance of presents beneath it.
|I know the pic is blurry and a bit |
crooked, but the destruction wrought
by my felines is clearly visible.
This year, I got a wild hair and dug the wreath out of storage. It looked pretty ... for about an hour. Then, the cats discovered it and attacked! I have no idea what attracted them. I had made sure none of the garland dangled from the mantel, or any of the colored lights flashed. Still, my felines honed in. The wreath and garland had to die. In a way, it was very symbolic of my feelings about this time of year.
My sister calls me Scrooge, but I do not care. She loves the holidays and can have them. As for me, I just bide my time until I can rip the December page from my calendar and start anew.
Anyone else dislike the holidays?