Friday, January 10, 2014

WARNING! Fan Boy Gushing Ahead

In my thank-goodness-this-year-is-finally-over post, I mentioned that I read less fiction in 2013, but that didn't stop me from buying new novels.

Hi, my name is Kyle and I have an addiction to books.*
 
I didn't realize how large the monkey on my back was until I recently did a little cleaning to prepare for income taxes (there will probably be a future post on that subject). As I surveyed my ever-growing list of to-be-read books I found:
  • One from Ace
  • One from Abaddon Books
  • Two from Tachyon
  • Two from Harper Voyager
  • NINE from Angry Robot (two of which I purchased last week)
Holy printing press, batman, I'm helping to keep Angry Robot in business - and with a good reason. Their books are consistently the best I've read in the SF&F industry. Not all of their authors are British, so I can't say there must be something special in the water in England. Instead, I'll give credit to the editorial staff at AR. They consistently purchase stories I want to read.
 
Am I a member of The Robot Army? No. Those are readers
who frequently post reviews online. Since I suck at writing
reviews, I never applied. However, it is good to know there
is a legion of others who help spread the word about AR. 
As I mentioned in post # 5, I met an editor from Angry Robot at WorldCon. Not that I got to speak with him much (he was too busy selling books) but I did offer my opinion of several of the works on display. With a sole exception (which I won't name here), I've thoroughly enjoyed every book I've purchased with the AR logo on it. (I admit I envision my medieval steampunk WIP as an Angry Robot title.)
 
What about you? Do you have a favorite publisher? If yes, why?
 
 
 
* Traditional paper books. I haven't made the switch to ebooks and truthfully don't see myself doing so any time in the future.     

2 comments:

  1. Dude, I have met plenty of people who love a series or an author or a genre, but you are the first one I know of who is head-over-heels for a PUBLISHER. That is so cool! And it speaks highly of how Angry Robot has managed their acquisitions - you know, not by what'll turn a dollar, but by what will help build their brand. That is super neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm ... I hadn't thought about it like that. Makes me feel a tab bit crazier than I know I am, but I'll accept that reality. I hope AR keep turning dollars (or in their case, pounds) so I can keep buying their books.

    ReplyDelete