Saturday, December 15, 2012

Book Roundup 2012

As mentioned in a previous blog I do not have as much time to read as I would like (plus, I'm a slow reader). However, each year there are books that I thoroughly enjoy. Here's my top five for 2012.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
 
I saw the movie before I read the book and enjoyed both for different reasons. The movie was visually stunning since I'm a history buff. The book took my heart and squeezed it to a pulp. By far the most emotionally satisfying book that I read in 2012.

 

 
The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt

I love me some good steampunk and Stephen Hunt delivers the most imaginative world building around. The political intrigue and fully developed characters made this an enjoyable read.

 

Edge of Dark Water by Joe R. Lansdale

Mr. Lansdale is one of my favorite writers. If I could ever be half the storyteller he is, I'd consider myself blessed. The images he evokes in his prose more than make up for the meandering pace of the story. Overall, I enjoyed this book for its slice-of-life approach.

 

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Toldja I like steampunk. Originally read in 2011, this is the rare book that I've read twice (most bore me the second time around, because I already know the story). However, I enjoyed the humor, love story, and writing so much, I dove back in for a second go. 

 

Timepieces: Masterpieces of Chronometry by David Christianson

Non-fiction? Yep, I read a lot of that too. I have a fascination with clocks and found this book to be both educational and enjoyable. Highly recommended for other lovers of timepieces.

 

Jacob, my youngest son, is also a consummate reader. In his words, here are his top five picks of books that he read in 2012.


13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

This book deals with a subject that's not only serious, but a feeling we've all probably had at one point or another. The book takes suicide and twists it into a unique, emotional rollercoaster that you won't want to get off any time soon (I've re-read the book more than a dozen times).
 

Crazy by Han Nolan

This book brings you into the character's world as a troubled boy slowly goes crazy, always talking to the voices in his head. Made me nervous.

 

 
 
Pendragon: The Quillan Grames by D. J. Machale

Out of this 10-book series, this seventh installment got the most emotional reaction out of me, and really made me feel like I was there.

 

Cut by Patricia McCormick

A great book that makes the main character's problems very relatable and goes further with the main character not only dealing with cutting, but overcoming it.

 

 
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
 
This book deals with a serious subject and makes the main character's problems feel very relatable.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment