Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Don't Mess with my Walks!

I'm blessed to live in a neighborhood with numerous walking paths. Most are sidewalks, but even more are unpaved trails that wind through trees and along a stream. During my journey, I encounter both civilization and a taste of wilderness . . .

And humans trash both.
 
I know, I sound like a tree hugger. In a way, I am. I believe we were put on this planet to enjoy its fruits and to care for it. I'm saddened that so few of my fellow souls share the same philosophy. Sure, they're out doing something healthy for themselves by exercising, but when they toss away their empty water bottles without they are causing damage. It's as if carrying the bottle the extra few feet to a trash barrel would be too much of a strain.
 
As I walk, I have a rule. If a glass or plastic bottle, aluminum can, or drink cup are located near the path I'm on, I pick it up. I don't gather the other trash I encounter. Why? Because my local city will only recycle glass, plastic bottles (not bags), and aluminum. Plus, I have to be practical. If I spent my entire time picking up trash, I'd never accomplish my first goal: exercising.
 
During my average morning walk, I accumulate between 5 - 7 bottles and cans. People give me odd looks when we pass, because my arms are so full. I return their odd looks and want to ask them "Why aren't you helping?"

Are you a tree hugger? If so, let me know in the comments. It would be nice to know I'm not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment